Saturday, September 23, 2006

Accident

I have a ton of photos and not a lot of time to caption them just yet. I Figured I'd pop them up now and fill in the captions later. Stay tuned!

As a test, I decided to try and post a video for everyone. This is a movie of some of the guys destroying one of the vaults we built. Please tell me if it works for you. It's Quicktime mp4 format: http://www.mediamax.com/lordtangent/Hosted/vault_destruction.MP4

If this works OK I may post more videos in the future.

Here is some news for you. Some time mid-week (I loose track of the days here) I crashed head-on into a lady on a scooter. Everyone was ok. I'm ok. Even the bikes were OK. It was a very slow collision. The scooter did sustain a little damage... one of the lights got broken. I offered to help pay for it but the husband preferred to just scold me and then let me off the hook "The money is not the issue. What if my wives arm had been broken" I didn't know what to tell him. I mean, either one of us could have gotten hurt or killed. When he was done ranting it was all over. I was free to leave.

The only reason I mention any of this is that I've been beating myself up over it since it happened. You see, the accident was clearly my fault. I ran to the right rather than the left when the bikes got too close which only made things worse. BUT... The lady DID cut me off. As I've mentioned, people here drive nearly suicidally. They assume that everyone else is looking out for them and will do the correct thing. Well, I didn't. Old habits die hard. It's tough to suppress 20 years of driving instinct. She had no way of knowing that of course. I went right when I should have gone left.

Now, today, on the way to the net cafe I crossed the same intersection. And what happened? Someone else came out of the intersection nearly the exact way as the woman I hit! Hurrah! My chance for redemption! "Keep to the left... keep to the left" I kept repeating to myself... only this time, the other guy decided to go to his right (my left... the WRONG way) Luckily for me, he choose his line early, and committed to it. It wasn't as close a call as the last time. But what made this guy decide to go to the right? (He was Indian)

The moral to the story? I don't know what it is. The two experiences only just confirm to me that there are no rules to driving in India except for: Don't hit anything.



A huge millipede. Eating these must be how the scorpions get so big (it's about 6 inches long):


Testing our arches vaults and domes. People told me I would loose weight in India, but as far as I can tell I'm either getting fatter or staying the same weight. (Eating so much chapati and rice will do that to you) I did not build this dome.


I did build this dome

More weekend tourism. This time to a site called Mahabalipuram (sp?) The temples are carved from solid rock. Most of them are not hollow on the inside, though some of them are somewhat hollowed out on the inside. Something I didn't get a photo of was the locally produced stone statues. Amazing work. I really wish I could get one to take home but shipping would be a hassle.


The view from the Beach Cafe. Dinesh with the Beach Temple in the background.

The monkey stole a partially full soda bottle from one of the kids, ran away, and then proceeded to open and drink it. Cheeky Temple monkeys! You really need to be careful around them or they will steal your camera and other stuff. (If they mistake it for food)



One thing I really can't figure out is why people stop me and ask me to take their photos. It happens at least once every time I go out. Today it happened three times. I'm posting the nicest pic. (They guy wanted me to take a photo of the kids) I usually try to get contact info from them so I can later send them the shot, but they aren't interested. They don't really want a copy. They just want me to take the photo. Dinesh, the Tamil guy I was traveling with on this trip, confirmed it. The people really didn't want a copy. I still don't get it. (Dinesh says I never will)
As part of our practical training we've been doing visits to active building sites. This first site is a little cathedral/shrine for a local Catholic charity.






The women in India work as hard or harder than the men. The main difference is that they do in it full Saris. (The men usually work in western cloths and sometimes a lungi) This lady seems to be wearing a pretty sensible cotton sari, but I often see women working in much fancier looking polyester saris.


The second site is the Shiva temple I mentioned in an earlier post. In these shots you can see that they are beginning to add the cladding to the exterior. The cladding is made from compressed earth blocks.

2 comments:

Keith said...

Hey Aaron

Great pictures! I especially like the building under construction with the 'peaked' arch.
Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you're okay. Sounds like it could have (would have?) happened to anyone.
The mp4 played fine for me. It's amazing how strong the structure stayed, even as it was being destroyed.

k

RicEstrada said...

We love your entries. The pictures are great. Are you standing on a dome you personally built?

It's amazing to think you only have one week of class left. Do you have your touring plans pretty much set up for the four weeks after the workshop?

We enjoyed the video and it worked fine.

Sorry to hear about your accident and glad to hear that you are OK. That had to be really scary. Amazing that the other people didn't accept your offer to help pay for the damaged light. You have a keen conscience and a good heart.