Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Arches Vaults and Domes

Good news. While eating dinner tonight in the Earth Institute kitchen, a driver showed up, un-announced, with my luggage. Wow. Considering how little I've gotten by with over the last couple of days, I really feel like I over packed. (My bag weighed in at about 70 lbs!)





Bags before departure:


For the last few days I've been getting by with a cheap pair of shorts and sandals I got in Pondicherry, one pair of underwear, and two shirts (I had a spare in my carry-on).

I've just been washing the cloths every night and sleeping in my boxers. The cloths USUALLY dry by the next day. :-)

Oh, yeah, I also got a couple of longies (it's a traditional skirt the men wear) They are good for covering up with when I'm moving from the showers to the dorm, or lounging in the evenings. (While it's still scorching hot).

Today in class, we studied the Funicular method for calculating arch stability. I have to admit that I was pretty overwhelmed at first. Actually, some of the concepts are still kind of sinking in. We'll be doing more tomorrow.

Studying an arch using the caternary methodË

One thing I find fascinating about the stuff we've learned so far is that none of the methods seem to require any serious math. At worst, it's just basic algebra. The interesting thing about the Funicular Method is that it is a way to calculate things in a mostly graphical way. What you essentially do is draw something I can best describe as a slide rule, and use it to help you make your calculations. It's really simpler than it sounds. Tomorrow we move on to the "Optimization Method" which is much more heavy duty, but allows for some pretty amazing stuff.

The process uses a lot of drafting aka 'Graphics Statics'. Using CAD speeds things up... provided you have a laptop and know how to use AutoCAD (only one person in the class did)



The people in the class are all great. There are some extremely interesting characters. For example, an architect from South Africa that doesn't have a phone, or a chair, in his office.

I have to get going. Hopefully I'll have some photos ready to post next time.

Ask questions if you want specific information.

4 comments:

RicEstrada said...

So glad you got your stuff. Probably seems like an embarrassment of riches considering your surroundings but then you have a couple months ahead of you.

We're thrilled for you in your new experiences and the people you are encountering.

Waiting with baited breath for your next entry.

RicEstrada said...

BTW, how's the water?

RicEstrada said...

Please describe the dorms, the kitchen and the food. We're guessing that a lot of the food is grown at Auroville and is organic, right?

How many people in the class and what's are their national origins?

Keith said...

Great to hear that you've made it safely and your luggage finally arrived.

Sounds like you've already been thrown into the deep end in classes - I'm sure you're loving it!

Keep up the blog!