Monday, September 11, 2006

Building Arches Valuts and Domes

As of this week, the practical part of the class starts. We are building arches. The pictures speak for themselves.



There are also several new students in class. One character I find particularly interesting is Micheal. He's an American who now lives full time in India. The story is that he did pretty well in Bay Area real estate, cashed out, moved to India with his wife to start an orphanage for Indian children (mostly girls)... His own private orphanage.

It turns out that the government here is so... I don't know the right word... un-interested... (generous) in child welfare that orphans are usually simply cast out into the streets. It's not as bad for boys, who are more valued for their potential labor. But for girls the picture is pretty bleak. Micheal and his wife save the girls from the streets and from predators. Boys are preyed upon as well of course. But from what I gather, not as badly.

He invited me to visit his place. I think I'm going to take him up on it. Surely there are other "interesting" touristy things either on the way there or in the general direction that I can hit at the same time. Frankly, this is more the sort of stuff I came to India to see in the first place. Getting to see all the temples and other stuff is just a bonus.

Speaking of temples, last Sunday, I was lucky enough to be invited to the dedication of a Shiva Temple here in TN. I can't remember all the technical info and names for everything. But stay tuned for photos and more accurate information. (I need to collate my notes and pick a couple of peoples brains who were there with me)

The Cliff notes is are that the temple was architects and construction supervised by Satprem, my masonry teacher here in Aurovile. The ceremony was out of this world. I've never been to ANY Hindu ceremony. I never expected my first to be such a high level ceremony. More info when I post the photos.

No comments: