Saturday, October 14, 2006

Holy Cow!

The pace of my tour is starting to feel pretty grueling. Worse of all, the hotel I'm staying in Kings Kourt (that is really how it's spelled) is terrible. Totally shabby and the rooms smell like ass. (A mix of cigarette smoke and mould) If you are ever in Mysore don't stay at Kings Kourt. I'm serious. I would rather have my hut in Auroville over this smelly room.

Mysore is and amazing city. So far, it's the most "together" city I've seen in India so far. The streets are good. There are even sidewalks in most places. (which is, based on my observations of South India to date, rare) Amazingly, there are still cows and other livestock on the streets, even in the "downtown" areas. The level of refinement in the infrastructure of the city makes them seem out of place here.

This is India's largest monolithic Nandi, on Chamundi Hill.

I can't remember the name of this mausoleum, but it was pretty impressive. (OK, not the Taj Mahal, but I'm in South India, remember?)



Speaking of Islam, there are a surprising number of Muslims here (actually, India has the worlds largest population of Muslims under a single government) Hell of a climate for such a level of modesty, though...

People taking boat rides on the river near the mausoleum.


An old colonial era dungeon in a fort near the mausoleum. (I said the pace was getting grueling, didn't I? I'm going to have to look at my notes to figure out the names of these places)

No comments: