Thursday, October 12, 2006

Nuts for Coconuts

We spent most of today driving from Fort Kochi to Mudumalai Wildlife Park. On the way we stopped for a coconut. Man, I love coconuts... especially the brown type. They are more expensive but they are quite tasty. Today I lucked out and my nut had a decent amount of meat. It's a good snack for 10 rupees.

The guy making a funny face is my driver, Viketasan.


On the way we passed a political rally. Notice the little gas cans the guys on motorcycles are carrying? That was for the kerosene the candidates were handing out. I actually drove by a place where I could see them filling peoples little gas cans. I choose not to take any pictures because I wasn't sure how that would go over.



One thing I find interesting is the cultural emphasis on materialism here in India. In that respect it's no different than America. The difference is the way it's expressed. I mean, if this billboard is any indication, actually wearing this much jewelry is something to aspire to. (In the west it would just be considered gaudy)

To get to Mudumalai we drove though a hill station. I think it was called Ooty. It's the only place I've been so far where I actually needed my fleece jacket.

No comments: